February 28, 2012

The old and the new: Jacket & dress make a comeback / O velho e o novo.


Nota: este post é bilíngue, a tradução para o português está logo abaixo.

This week we have to come up with an outfit with some of the oldest things we have, and I think that's a perfect way to celebrate this project and the 2 MONTHS we have just survived spent without shopping! I thought this was a great opportunity to really dig inside my closet and see what items stand the test of time. The two oldest things in my wardrobe date back from around High School time. It's impressive that I can still fit (on and off) into those pieces.

Photos by Janey from findmimi.com (she has some great posts on her blog, you should check out the one about how to do make up for photography! Good tips!).

Location: Salt Lake City Library

Jacket: Hering, bought in 1995 | Dress (worn as a skirt): bought in 1997 | Shirt: Express | Heels: MIA

My grandma bought me this dress as a gift for my 15th birthday. I didn't get to wear it though, till a friend of mine threw her sweet-fifteen party (in Brazil the big party is at 15). Since then, this has been my go-to party dress, as long as I'm in shape! But today is Tuesday, and I'm not going to any parties, I'm going to work! So I dressed down my party dress with my other super old item: this denin jacket I bought in 1995 (I was 12 back then). To tie it all together, I added some items bought just this past December: a white silk shirt (that's a little too big) and those berry-colored MIA heels.




I can count on my hands the times I've worn this dress since the time I got it: about 5 times, including today. All other times I styled it pretty much the same way, so it was interesting cool to come up with something different this time. 
I usually have a rule that anything that I don't wear for more than one year has to go, but this rule doesn't apply to party dresses. Otherwise, how sad it would be to have to part with this lovely dress? And even though it is such a 90s item,  it's still classic enough that I can wear it 15 years later.

What's the oldest thing in your wardrobe? Dig it out and wear it this week!

PS: I know that according to our rules we said that February 29th is fair game for shopping... But I decided I won't buy anything tomorrow. I really don't feel like it, and I really don't need it.

More photos at Janey's blog: findMiMi.com

[PT]
Essa semana a gente tinha que fazer um look usando uma (ou mais) das peças mais antigas que a gente tem. Eu achei que essa seria uma boa oportunidade de catar no fundo do meu armário e descobrir o que é que aguentou tantas mudanças e tendências e continua usável. Meus achados foram duas peças que tenho desde a época de colégio.

O vestido prata foi um presente de aniversário de 15 anos da minha vó, em 1997. Eu só tive chance de estreia-lo no ano seguinte em uma outra festa de 15 anos. Desde então, esse vestido é o meu preferido para festas e afins (contanto que eu sirva nele). Mas como hoje é terça, e eu não tenho nenhuma festinha pra ir, eu coloquei essa camisa por cima e a jaqueta jeans (outro achado do fundo do baú: eu comprei essa jaqueta na Hering em 1995!), além desse sapato maravilhoso da MIA Shoes. 

Posso contar nos dedos quantas vezes usei esse vestido: 5, incluindo hoje. E até hoje, sempre que eu usei ele eu usei do mesmo jeito: o vestido com um salto alto e bijoux discreta. Mas foi divertido explorar outras possibilidades para ele, e misturando com peças bem mais básicas. 

Normalmente se a roupa no meu armário não vê uso por um ano eu boto fora, com exceção de vestido de festa. Esses são muitas vezes clássicos, e dá para reaproveitar e usar quando uma outra festa aparece, principalmente se não é uma seguida de outra!

E você? Qual a peça mais antiga no seu armário? 

1 comment:

Welcome to Occupy the Wardrobe, please say what you think! Benvindo ao Occupy the Wardrobe, por favor diga-nos o que você achou!