July 5, 2012

Halfway there: 6 months of no shopping / Metade do caminho: 6 meses sem compras


Nota: Tradução para o Português ao final do post, em itálico.


It's funny how a spur of the moment idea can change your life in so many ways. Hi, my name is Anita, and I haven't shopped for new clothes and accessories (for myself) for 6 months. It's been awesome! First, I've learned how to sew. I mean, I didn't have any experience whatsoever till after two weeks of Occupy the Wardrobe that I decided (also on the spur of the moment) to sign up for sewing classes. I had no idea I'd actually be able to sew clothes within a few months. But I can, and I love it. Without Occupy, I wouldn't have taken the plunge, and learned a new hobby I love and I am good at.

I also achieved the goal of being more creative with my wardrobe. I've been mixing up outfits in ways I haven't before, and being more daring. Experimenting is fun, and a great learning experience. Another goal met was to reorganize and catalog my closet. It's looking good now.

On the downside, yes, I'm getting quite sick of the things I own. I used to be a big dress-wearer, but now, dresses are barely part of my daily looks because I don't feel I can get quite as creative and fashionable in them. On a way, it's good, I'm not being lazy, and I'm wearing more of the things I own. On the other side, half my closet now gets no use, because I'm so bored with it. A few of my clothes had some accidents along the way: 3 chiffon Forever 21 shirts are gone (RIP!), which is really sad because it's my favorite shirt material to endure this absurdly hot and dry summers in Salt Lake City.

Tally (so far):
  • THREE Forever 21 Chiffon shirts lost (two got holes, one lost the elastic)
  • TEN pounds lost, therefore, 
    • FOUR old pants are now new because they fit
    • TWO dresses and FOUR skirts resized due to weight loss
  • FIVE gifts received (one pair os pants, one bikini, two necklaces, one t-shirt)
  • NINE items sewed 
  • TWO complete outfits bought and gifted on friend's birthdays
  • THIRTY-SIX looks posted to Occupy the Wardrobe (some weeks I posted more than one)
But I guess you are also here today for my look of the day, right? Fitting that the week that marks the end of the first half of our journey, is also the week we have to go monochromatic, and face one of our hardest challenges yet.

Of course, I went all in with this challenge. Monochromawesomely Orange! Neon Orange too. And yes, I did leave the house like this. Went out for dinner with the boyfriend wearing this (and he in a bright yellow shirt!).

WARNING: You might want to grab your sunglasses before scrolling down.

Sunglasses: Fake Ray Ban | Necklace: J.Crew (seen here before) | Shirt: Express (borrowed from the boyfriend)
Pants: Zara (gift) | Heels: Asos | Ring: H&M 


Go Netherlands!

[PT]
É engraçado como uma decisão louca pode mudar sua vida de tantas maneiras. Olá, meu nome é Anita, e fazem 187 dias desde a última vez que eu comprei roupas. E por hora... tem sido incrível! Para começar, eu aprendi a costurar. Vamos combinar, antes desse desafio de um ano sem compras eu não sabia nem pregar botão, e depois de duas semanas fazendo o Occupy, eu resolvi aprender a costurar. Nunca que eu achei que ia aprender tão rápido e que alguns meses depois de começar a aula já estaria fazendo minhas próprias roupas! Graças ao Occupy eu aprendi uma nova arte, e eu estou apaixonada por ela. 

Outro objetivo cumprido foi o de ser mais criativa com o que tenho no armário. Tenho me esforçado para misturar minhas roupas em jeitos que nunca misturei antes, e me arriscando mais. Tentar coisas diferentes é divertido e educativo. Outro objetivo cumprido foi o de re-organizar meu armário. Está ótimo e organizadissímo agora. 

Mas não foi só alegria. Eu estou cada vez mais de saco cheio com as coisas que tenho no armário, querendo coisa nova para por em rotação. Notei que eu costumava usar vestidos com muito mais frequência antigamente, agora eles mal saem do armário porque eu não consigo ser tão criativa com eles como sou com o resto. Por um lado, o resto das roupas no armário tem saído mais pra passear, mas pelo outro lado, metade (sim, metade!) do meu armário fica as moscas. Outra coisa ruim foram as minhas 3 camisas de chiffon que estragaram. É meu tecido preferido para camisas, principalmente nos verões secos de Salt Lake, então fiquei chateada com a perda. 

Contagem (por hora):
  • TRÊS camisas de chiffon da Forever 21 perdidas (duas com furos, outra perdeu o elástico)
  • DEZ quilos perdidos, então 
    • QUATRO calças velhas que viraram novas porque agora servem de novo
    • DOIS vestidos e QUATRO saias que a costureira diminuiu
  • CINCO presentes recebidos (um par de calças, um biquini, dois colares, uma camiseta)
  • DOIS looks completos comprados de presente para duas amigas em seus aniversários
  • NOVE items costurados por mim
  • TRINTA E SEIS looks postados no Occupy the Wardrobe
Mas não estamos por aqui só pra comemorar, né gente! Tem o meu look mocromático da semana, que aliás, eu resolvi ir com tudo e pegar as peças mais extravagantes do meu armário, como essa calça laranja neon, e uma camisa combinando que achei no armário do namorado. O resto foi fácil, só procurar os acessórios combinando e pronto!


Mas aviso, pra ver as fotos do meu look do dia, melhor pegar os óculos de sol antes!



1 comment:

  1. Amei o look laranja! Que bom que a calça serviu direitinho!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Occupy the Wardrobe, please say what you think! Benvindo ao Occupy the Wardrobe, por favor diga-nos o que você achou!